The area is described as extending from the western side of the Schuylkill River to the city line, with the SEPTA Media/Elwyn Line serving as the northern border. The northern border is also as east from the city line along Baltimore Avenue moving south along 51st Street to Springfield Ave. It follows the train tracks until 49th Street. From 49th and Kingsessing Ave the line moves east along Kingsessing Ave. The line then moves south along 46th St to Paschall Ave where it jogs to join Grays Ferry where the line runs to the Schuylkill River.

Southwest Philly

Although its boundaries are not precise, West Philadelphia is to its north, Kingsessing is to the south, Cedar Park is to the east, and Cobbs Creek is to the west. The Angora Commuter Rail Station, two bus lines and a trolley line all intersect around Baltimore Avenue and 58th Street, which is unofficially the nexus of the neighborhood. Angora Terrace and other portions of the neighborhood are well-kept.

The neighborhood was founded by Robert and George Callaghan in 1863, who named it for Ankara, the city in Turkey. The landscape was sparsely populated until for decades, and a surrounding woodland provided a bucolic environment seemingly separate from the city of which it was part. Development began in earnest between 1900 and 1920.

It was the site of the Callaghan textile mill; later, in the early 20th century, a mill that produced yarn and a factory that produced glass were erected. This industry was accompanied by the relatively limited development of residential areas within the neighborhood, mainly restricted to the 5800 block of Baltimore Avenue (between 1918 and 1920) and to an area that once was a grove of trees, known as Sherwood Forest. A nearby attraction for residents was Kingsessing Park, in the Kingsessing neighborhood, in which a recreation center was constructed in 1918.

Bartram Village

Bartram Village is a small neighborhood and is located near South 56th Street and Lindbergh Boulevard. The neighborhood takes its name from noted botanist John Bartram, whose historical home and gardens, Bartram's Garden, are located nearby.
Bartram's Garden is the oldest surviving botanic garden in North America. Located on the west bank of the Schuylkill River in Fairmount Park, it covers 46 acres and includes an historic botanical garden and arboretum (8 acres) established circa 1728. The garden is near the intersection of 54th Street and Lindbergh Boulevard..

Special events at the Garden include an annual spring plant sale, Mother's Day festivities, and a holiday gifts & greens sale. The non-profit John Bartram Association operates the Garden in cooperation with the Philadelphia Department of Parks & Recreation.


Kingsessing is a neighborhood located adjacent to the neighborhoods of Cedar Park, Southwest Schuykill, and Mount Moriah, as well as Yeadon in Delaware County. It is roughly bounded by Cobbs Creek and 60th Street to the southwest, Woodland Avenue to the southeast, 53rd Street to the northeast, and Baltimore Avenue to the northwest.

The name Kingsessing or Chinsessing comes from the Delaware Indian word for "a place where there is a meadow". Prior to the Act of Consolidation, 1854 Kingsessing Township was a township in the extreme southwestern portion of the county, roughly encompassed all of what is now known today as Southwest Philadelphia. The township contained no other settlements of any size except Maylandville.

The Kingsessing settlement was started by Swedes who settled the colony of New Sweden. Dating to 1646, it was the first village settled by Europeans within the territory of Philadelphia. Fort Nya Vasa at Kingsessing, was located on the eastern-side of Cobbs Creek near Cobbs Creek Parkway and Greenway Avenue.

For the 18th and most of the 19th centuries Kingessing was a rural township with farms, orchards and market gardens. A major botanic and horticultural garden, Bartram's Garden was located in Kingessing Township, and was frequently called the "Kingsess Garden”. By the middle of the 19th century Kingessing was a major center for the nursery and florist gardens in Philadelphia County.


Eastwick is a neighborhood bordering Philadelphia International Airport and the city line with Delaware County, Pennsylvania at Cobbs Creek and Darby Creek. The Elmwood Park neighborhood borders it to the northeast.
The neighborhood is named for Andrew M. Eastwick. It was largely rural until the 1920s when swampy land was dredged to create room for an airport and other large-scale uses within the city limits. Much of the original housing built before the 1950s lacked sewer service and other urban conveniences. Residents referred to the neighborhood as "The Meadows”.
Residents enjoyed the ability to have a rural lifestyle within city limits; nearby creeks provided recreation in the form of swimming, bathing, and fishing. An extensive crabbing home industry was based in The Meadows. Homes ranged from traditional single-family residences with lawns and gardens to traditional Philadelphia-style row houses; sometimes, these two housing styles appeared on the same block. Brick was the predominant material used in construction. Homes were built from the early 19th century until the Second World War.

In 1958, Eastwick was declared the largest urban renewal project in the country, with newer, suburban-style construction in the 1960s and 70s. The resulting open fields lied open for decades, and most of the planned development never occurred. Eventually, a limited amount of new housing was constructed, was suburban-style townhouses. The neighborhood was one of only three in Philadelphia that grew in population between 1970 and 1990.
The Heinz National Wildlife Refuge extends from Eastwick to Tinicum Township, Pennsylvania. Eastwick contains a large industrial area where manufacturing and distributing uses take advantage of proximity to the Airport, Interstate 95, and Center City Philadelphia.

Elmwood Park

Elmwood Park, also known simply as Elmwood, is a neighborhood borders the city line with Delaware County at Cobbs Creek, and extends to the Schuylkill River. The Eastwick neighborhood borders it to the southwest, and Kingsessing borders it on the northeast.
Polish and Irish Americans had long been the majority in the neighborhood, organized around Catholic parishes established throughout the early to mid 20th century. Today the neighborhood is ethnically diverse.

Hog Island
Hog Island is the historic name of an area southwest of the central part of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania along the Delaware River, to the west of the mouth of the Schuylkill River. Philadelphia International Airport now sits on the land that was once Hog Island.
European settlers purchased Hog Island from the Lenape Indians in 1680. The settlers gradually developed the island by building log and earthwork dikes to minimize storm damage and convert the marshes into good grazing meadows. Hog Island supposedly got its name from the pigs which local residents left to roam free, as no fencing was needed.
In 1917, as part of the World War I effort, the US government contracted American International Shipbuilding to build ships and a shipyard at Hog Island. At the time Hog Island was the largest shipyard in the world with 50 slipways. None of the ships were ready in time to participate in World War I, but many of them were involved in World War II.
The US Army Corps of Engineers filled in the creek separating Hog Island from the mainland with silt dredged out of the shipping channels so that Hog Island became part of the mainland. Starting in 1925, the Pennsylvania Air National Guard used a small part of Hog Island as a training field for its pilots. In 1927, the site was dedicated as the "Philadelphia Municipal Airport" by Charles Lindbergh, who flew in on the Spirit of Saint Louis. In 1930 the city of Philadelphia purchased Hog Island from the federal government and the Airport was formally opened as Philadelphia Municipal Airport on June 20, 1940.
One legend of the origin of the Hoagie sandwich is tied to Hog Island. Domenic Vitiello, professor of Urban Studies at the University of Pennsylvania asserts that Italians working on Hog Island introduced the sandwich, by putting various meat, cheese, and lettuce between two slices of bread. This became known as the "Hog Island" sandwich; hence, the "hoagie".


Philadelphia International Airport

Philadelphia International Airport (IATA: PHL, ICAO: KPHL, FAA LID: PHL) is a major airport in Philadelphia, and is the largest airport in the Delaware Valley region and in the state. The airport is the third largest hub and the primary international hub of US Airways and has service to destinations in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East. Most of the airport property is located in Philadelphia.
Starting in 1925, the Pennsylvania National Guard used the PHL site (historically known as Hog Island) as a training airfield. The site was dedicated as the "Philadelphia Municipal Airport" by Charles Lindbergh in 1927, but it had no proper terminal building until 1940; airlines used the airfield in nearby Camden, New Jersey. Once Philadelphia's terminal was completed (on the east side of the field) American, Eastern, TWA and United began flights.